A barre based class is a fusion of different workouts inspired by ballet and other disciplines like yoga and Pilates. The class is focused on cardio, strength training, and stretching, rather than perfect dance technique; so don’t worry you don’t need to be a ballerina! The barre is used as a prop to balance while doing exercises that focus on isometric strength training (holding your body still while you contract a specific set of muscles) combined with high reps of small range-of-motion movements. The class will also use other props like weighted balls, fitness balls and resistance bands to really bring the burn during all of those reps. The mat work element of the class will focus on building upper body and core strength using a range of contemporary and traditional Pilates movements. All of this is done to a funky playlist with tunes from past and present to really get you in the mood to move! The class finishes at a slower pace to cool down, stretch and of course relaxation. The benefits of barre are:
- Tones and builds lean muscle for that sculpted ballet dancer look.
- Improves your flexibility and compliments other disciplines like yoga.
- Helps clear your mind and improves co-ordination and concentration.
- Builds confidence and your self-esteem.
- Enhances your metabolic rate, meaning your burning calories even when resting.
- Makes your laugh, smile and have fun.